Sunday, March 30, 2014

April Card Kit - You Brighten My Day

Simon Says Stamp's April card kit is themed around a light-bulb this month. The stamp set's got a ton of punny and cute little sayings, and it looks versatile enough to be used year-round. I will definitely be pulling it out next Valentine's for a cute "love you watts and watts" card.


Although I got this kit a few days ago, I didn't get a chance to play around with it until today. I think I had a bout of flu, as I was completely out of commission for a few days. Thankfully, I'm feeling much better now and I'm ready to create fun things once again. :)

I started by picking out the paper. A lot of the papers that come in the card kit have a really interesting look, with bright colors on one side and a black/white pattern on the other. I decided to make use of the contrast of black and white and pair it with yellow for a punch of color.

I started by creating the center panel by layering the polka-dot paper on each side of the gray wood-grain. After that, I stamped the solid light-bulb on a piece of plain white cardstock. I used two colors. First, I stamped with the yellow pigment ink. While the ink was still wet, I inked up the stamp with orange pigment ink and stamped it lightly on a piece of scrap paper to take off some of the color. Then, I stamped it onto the yellow image. It created a really great texture.

After heat-setting the solid bulb, I stamped the outline stamp in Versamark embossing ink. I used platinum embossing powder and zapped it with the heat gun. After it cooled, I cut it using my Sizzix round dies. I also cut out a larger circle from a piece of black cardstock and used it as a frame. Using a black pen, I drew a dotted border around the white circle.

I added the sentiment at the bottom of the card and embossed it with clear embossing powder. I used a highlighter to highlight the word "brighten" and to tie in the sentiment with the card.

Lastly, I added a few embelishments: a piece of hemp cord twine and a button at the top, as well as a few enamel dots from the kit at the bottom.

Supplies:
Simon Says Stamp April Card Kit
Cardstock: Bazzill Marshmallow, Simon Says Stamp 100# black cardstock
Ink: Memento Luxe in Dandelion (yellow), Mama Elephant in Orangeade (orange), Mama Elephant in Ocean (blue), Versamark embossing ink
Embossing Powder: Ranger super fine Clear Embossing Powder, Ranger Platinum embossing powder
Hemptique Natural Hemp Cord
Button
Highlighter


2 comments:

  1. I always wonder if i should get sss kits! They are so great and seeing what you did with it makes me want to subscribe badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Marylin!

      I've only been subscribed to the kit since November of last year, but so far every kit has had really amazing things and new products I haven't tried before. I definitely think they're worth the money, especially if you're subscribed to receive one every month. :)

      Delete