Friday, June 27, 2014

Starry Camping Scene (Lawn Fawn)



As you've probably noticed, I'm a big fan of Lawn Fawn. Their stamps have an adorable style, but -and this is very important- all of their sets have a charming style that matches. So, you can take a piece from one stamp set and another piece from a different set and end up with a card that just works.

For this card, I wanted to create a kind of camping scene, and just have fun with color.

I started by preparing my base by cutting a piece of woodgrain cardstock to measure 4 1/4 by 11". I scored it at half-way point to create a top-folding A2 card. I also cut a piece of white cardstock to measure 4" by 5 1/4".

I stamped a starry background from Lawn Fawn's Starry Backdrops. I used a yellow pigment ink and I stamped the stars twice, one below the other. Immediately after, I embossed the stars with clear embossing powder. This meant the stars would resist other ink and I could get to work on the rest of the sky.

I started with the lightest blue color and I used my blending tool to go all around the sky. I then moved to the medium ink and focused mainly on the top. Lastly, I used a dark color only near the top of the panel. This created a pretty great gradient background.

After the sky was done, I wanted to make the ground, so I grabbed another piece of white cardstock and cut along the top in a curvy shape to create ground. I used a combination of 3 green distress inks. I adhered it to the star panel.

For the rest of the scene, I pulled out 3 more Lawn Fawn stamp sets:
- The car and camper van came from Happy Trails
- The large pine tree is from Critters in the Forest
- The bear and the crescent moon are from the newly released Love You S'more

I stamped all of the scene elements onto Copic marker paper and colored them in using my Copics. All three of these sets have dies, but I wanted them to blend into the background, so I fussy-cut them with scissors.

I spent a little time playing with the positioning of all the pieces. When I was happy, I adhered them with tape runner or foam adhesive. The scene looked complete without any other embellishments, so I left it alone.

Supplies:
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Starry Backdrops, Lawn Fawn Happy Trails, Lawn Fawn Critters in the Forest, Lawn Fawn Love You S'more
Ink: MFT Hybrid Ink in Black Licorice, Memento Luxe pigment ink in Dandelion, Ranger Distress Ink in Broken China, Salty Ocean, Chipped Sapphire (blues), Bundled Sage, Mowed Lawn and Peeled Paint (greens)
Cardstock: Simon Says Stamp Kraft Woodgrain cardstock, Neenah Solar White 80 lbs cardstock, Copic Marker Paper
Copics: Moon (Y13, Y35, YR12), Camper van/Car (E35, E37, W2, W4, C6, Y13, Y35, YR12, B91, B95, B18, R22, R35), Bear (E23, E37, E29, E59, E42, E50), Pine Tree ( G43, YG67, G29)
Hero Arts Clear Embossing Powder
Scrapbook Adhesives Foam Squares

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you - LOVE Lawn Fawn and that you can mix and match their stamp sets. It makes creating so fun...and so easy. Your card is just...amazing! (I need a new adjective but it really is!) I have just received the Happy Trails and the Love You S'more sets too and have been dying to use them. I confess I wouldn't have thought to combine them but ....WOW, amazing! lol Elle, you are just so creative. Gosh I've missed seeing your cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I also love that there are slightly different sizes for some of the animals that repeat - like the frog in the baby set and the frog in the critters ever after. It makes it so easy to make parent/child cards or play around with perspective.

      I can't wait to see what you'll do with Happy Trails and Love You S'More! Your scenes are always so well-composed and fun to look at.

      Delete