Thursday, June 26, 2014

Thinking of You

I received my Simon Says Stamp card kit this morning, and just had to play with the goodies right away.

When they first unveiled the kit, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to get it or not. I actually already bought the patterned paper that comes with the kit, as well as the chevron washi tape. And I already had the Schoolhouse Red ink, which is similar to the ink in the kit. But I saw a few of the inspiration cards and videos, and decided it was something I wanted in my collection.

And I'm glad I got it! I love the stamp set, especially since the sentiments can be used elsewhere, and they're nice and bold (so they stamp and emboss great). Plus it's nice to just play around with the patterned paper and know I don't need to save any of it because I've got a back-up pad in my stash.

For this card, I wanted to make something that looked like a big envelope - without using an actual envelope.

I started by preparing the base by cutting a piece of red cardstock from the kit in half, and scoring/folding it to the standard A2 size (4 1/4 by 5 1/2"). I then cut a piece of the busy tiny chevron paper to measure 3 3/4 by 5". I adhered it to the base.

Then I got to work on the large mock envelope. I cut a piece of patterned paper to measure 2 3/4 by 3 3/4. I stamped "Thinking of You" in black near the bottom right, where the address would be. I also stamped the round "hello" with the Lipstick Red ink from the kit on a separate piece of white cardstock and cut it out with a circle paper punch. I adhered it to the top right of the envelope, so it would look like a stamp.

I used the skinny stamp to stamp the bottom of the envelope: once in lipstick red, and once in navy. I also added a puffy sticker from the kit to the upper left side of the envelope. The envelope wasn't popping from the page to my liking, so I matted it with a piece of plain black cardstock. I adhered it to the card base with foam squares.

I stamped a few of the envelopes on a piece of white cardstock, adding hearts to two of them. I tucked them under a corner of the large envelope, adhering them with my tape runner.

Lastly, I drew in a round dot border around the patterned paper panel for a bit of extra contrast. And voila! Card is done.

Supplies:
Simon Says Stamp July 2014 Card Kit
MFT Hybrid Ink in Nightshift Blue (navy), Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black (sentiment)
Simon Says Stamp Black heavyweight #100lbs cardstock
Circle punch
Uniball Signo broad white gel pen
Best Creation big squares foam tape adhesive

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Such a different stamp set but you make it look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It's probably a set I would have looked over if I just saw it for sale - because I do happen to have Envelope sentiments. But now that I have it, I'm really glad. It has a lot of sweet little bits that are going to be very useful.

      Delete