Friday, April 10, 2015

Illustration Friday -- Rain, Rain...


It's Friday, and that means it's time for an illustrated card! This week, I wanted to go really simple and sketchy, so I drew in a cute girl with a raincoat and a little snail.

The inspiration for this card came from the patterned paper - Echo Park's Sunny Days Ahead 6x6. This cute and bright paper pad had a paper with rain boots, and I just loved how it looked. So, I decided to draw a simple rainy scene.

I lightly drew the girl, the closed flower and the snail. I used a pencil, then I went over and colored with my Copics. It went alright for the most part, but there were a couple of spots where the Copics smudged the pencil -- mainly around the girl's eye. Next time, I'll go even lighter with the Copics and not color in any parts (like I did with the eye).

Once all the coloring was done, I grabbed a Sakura Micron pen (I used the thinnest one) and went over the outlines. I kept the outlines very loose and imprecise because I love the sketchy look. Once that was done, I penned in the teeny sentiment in the upper corner, and drew a border.

Originally, the panel was just white all the way through, but I didn't like how it faded into the patterned paper, so I colored in a yellow border.

The card is a 4¼x 4¼" in size. I simply adhered the 4x4" piece of patterned paper to the card, then added the illustration panel with foam tape.

Thanks for reading!
~Elle~

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful card, Elle!!! A great design!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna! I was really happy with how my little illustration turned out. :)

      Delete
  2. It's so sweet! Love the drawing and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I'll try to post some more illustrations here and there. :D

      Delete