Monday, June 15, 2015

Mae in Red

Some Odd Girl is having another fabulous digi release! This week, we're playing with Breezy Mae, who looks like she just stepped out of a grand ball.

After resizing and printing Mae, I started coloring. I used my usual skin combo (E00, E11, E13, E15 and R20) and bright blue eyes (BG01, B05). For the hair, I played with some of the newest colors I got (E74, E57,  E77) .

The dress was a bit of an experiment. I wanted a deeper red, but my go-to dark red combo just didn't seem right. So, I first colored the dress completely with Y14, then used warm grays (W2, W4, W6, W8) to do my shading. After all of that was done, I went over the entire surface with R29. This gave me that perfect dark red I was going for.

Now, I know what you're thinking... How in the world do you get that from using just one red color? The answer is in one of the properties of Copics that I don't often see mentioned: color opacity. Copic markers aren't completely opaque. They're a bit like watercolor, in the sense that you can layer them on top of each other and end up with a brand new color. I'm not sure whether Copic is the only alcohol marker with this property as I don't own any other alcohol marker brands. But I encourage you all to test it out!

This property is also good news for those of you on a small budget or those of you just starting out with alcohol markers. It means that you can grab a set of grays (you can grab a very nice set on Amazon at a discount) and some bright primary colors, and you've got a good base to work with. Make sure you add in some skin colors if you plan on coloring people.

After all of my coloring was done, I carefully cut Mae out and set her aside to work on the rest of the card. I found the perfectly muted and distressed paper in my stash, and I die-cut two pieces with some stitched shape dies. I layered them together and adhered to a standard teal A2 base (4¼x5½"). I added Mae with foam squares.

Since Mae is wearing such a lovely rich dress, I decided to add extra embellishments. I scattered a few paper flowers from Prima to the left of the circle. As a last touch, I used some liquid pearls to add pearl accents around the card, including Mae's earring.

And that's all there is to it! Please make sure you check out Some Odd girl blog and see what amazing creations the DT members have come up with.

Thanks for reading!
~Elle~

6 comments:

  1. She is so fabulous, you gave her the perfect look :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love what you did with her, too. Your card had such amazing stencil-work!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your copic tip. I never knew that I could use just grays for shading. Excellent! Excited to try that because right now I don't have that many Copics. PS: Your card is fabulous! Love that deep red & Mae is totally cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ka! I didn't know about the shading with grays either when I got my Copics, but looking at different techniques and coloring videos for inspiration has really opened up the possibilities for me. :)

      Delete
  3. Don't you just love the versatility of copics! And that dress is swoon-worthy. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! They're always my go-to medium and for good reason. They're just so great to work with. :D

      Delete